Monday, August 17, 2009

ben facebooked

Sat AM SUP Session before work.




Aloha,
It has been awhile since the last blog. I guess I have been spending too much time on Facebook.

Facebook is sort of like a cliff notes version of a blog. What the hell is a blog anyway? I looked it up on Wikipedia:

A blog (a contraction of the term "weblog")[1] is a type of website, usually maintained by an individual with regular entries of commentary, descriptions of events, or other material such as graphics or video. Entries are commonly displayed in reverse-chronological order. "Blog" can also be used as a verb, meaning to maintain or add content to a blog.

Many blogs provide commentary or news on a particular subject; others function as more personal online diaries. A typical blog combines text, images, and links to other blogs, Web pages, and other media related to its topic. The ability for readers to leave comments in an interactive format is an important part of many blogs. Most blogs are primarily textual, although some focus on art (artlog), photographs (photoblog), sketches (sketchblog), videos (vlog), music (MP3 blog), and audio (podcasting). Micro-blogging is another type of blogging, featuring very short posts.

So, I was wrong about Facebook being"cliff notes". I learned that it is a micro-blog. Is Twitter a micro-mini-blog?

Why do we blog anyway? Why do we read other peoples blogs?

Jason Berry's blog has taken me to Alaska and the Tour de France. I can only hope that one day I can go to both places myself. Sue Haywood's blog took me all over the world when she was racing mountain bikes. Her stories always inspired me to ride my bike just a little bit harder.

I guess I write benboarding blog for a a few reasons.

1. Definetly for my own amusement, and maybe the amusement of a few friends.
2. It gives me a place to post some pictures (a photo-blog).
3. But, mostly so I can remember the places I have gone, the things I have done and who I have done them with.
4. And finally, if reading about the fun things I do with my friends, inspires someone else to get out and do something fun.......well that is just kind of a bonus.

Facebook? Hmmmmm.... It has allowed me to track down and get it touch with some old and special friends. Pretty cool. It has allowed me to meet some pretty cool friends of some of my pretty cool friends. However, last week I opened a "cool video" that a friend didn't really send me, that released a "cool" virus in the computer at work. Then that computer promptly sent a "cool video" from "Mark" to all of my friends. Gee, what are friends for? Thankfully, most of my friends are smarter than me and did not open the file. Sarah is working on cleaning up the computer at work, but until then I'm not posting a thing on Facebook. No more micro-blogs for awhile. It will give me an excuse to post some pictures on benboarding. And maybe if I'm lucky it will take you some place you have never gone before or someplace you want to go back to!







No comments: